Friday, May 10, 2013

Haircut Party!

     Hazel's hair has been coming out so much, that it actually has been driving her crazy!  It's been getting in her mouth, eyes, hands and all over everywhere.  She was absolutely miserable.  So Aaron and I decided to ease her suffering and giver her a haircut.  This step was very tough for me, but I know that I needed to let go and let my little girl be comfortable.  And over the last few days, Aaron and I have actually realized how much emphasis we have been putting on outer beauty with our daughters, and how this haircut will be a good thing for us.  We can now make the conscious choice to talk to our kids about where true beauty dwells.  The bible says in 1 Peter 3:3-4 "Your adornment must not be merely external---braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."  
     I feel like God has truly been refining my heart so much these past weeks and revealing Himself in a way that I never anticipated.  He has been orchestrating everything and I have been seeing His fingerprints all over, which is such an encouragement during this time.  For example, we met a young girl named Demie during our stay at the hospital (she was the young girl with Hazel in one of the photos in the last post).  She had such an uplifting and cheerful spirit and really took Hazel under her wing.  Every free moment these girls had was spent with each other, and Hazel absolutely adores her!  On top of that, my other kids came to visit Hazel, and Demie happened to be playing with us at the time.  At first I could tell they were unsure about her; and Elizabeth even exclaimed, "Mom, she's bald!", for everyone to hear.  But after getting to know her, they all became fast friends.  I truly believed this eased the fears Micah and Elizabeth had about their sister losing her hair; and when we explained the upcoming haircut to Hazel, we told her she could look just like Demie!  Once she understood that, she became so excited at this prospect!  And now she tells everyone, "I look like Demie!"
    When the time came to take the plunge, Aaron decided to shave his head first, to show Hazel it was safe, and even a little fun.  He let all the kids take a turn shaving, which they all enjoyed.  Then it was Hazel's turn, and she did great!  Aaron took his time and she kept saying how much it tickled.  Then Micah (bless his little heart) told me that he didn't want his sister to feel left out and that he should shave his hair too.  So off it went!  Elizabeth also said, " I want to be bald!  Really bad!"  But I told her I could only handle one of my daughters being bald at a time, but maybe she and I could go and get short haircuts together.  She relented at the moment, but has continued asking to be bald, everyday!  She has just melted my heart!  Here are a few pictures from the party...Hope you enjoy!

















21 comments:

  1. So precious!!! Your kids are awesome...and she looks adorable! ~ Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu all are so wonderful. And hazelnut is just beautiful with her new haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an amazing and beautiful family. May the Lord keep his arms wrapped tightly around you all through this time of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching blog Lauren. My heart feels for you but also is inspired by your strength. I can only think of how hard it was for Aaron to cut Hazel's hair. God is really working through your family to touch many, many people Lauren. You are all beautiful...with and without hair:0) Hugs, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is darling with or without hair. You guys are an amazing testimony of God's love for you children and for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Absolutely precious. Your walk of faith and witness has touched my soul. God bless you all and may Hazel continue to be carried in His arms. ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the family shave!! Hazelnut is beautiful and it is so true that beauty is what is inside and we put way too much emphasis on our outward appearances. When the time is right, I would love to shave my head in honor of Adi. Maybe we could do it together someday, Lauren!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lauren, I am so proud of your strength that God has given you. Tears of great joy knowing you and your family represent His power.
    Thank you for sharing. Hope to see you soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren,

    I'm a friend of Jeremy & Jen. I had the pleasure of meeting Hazelnut at Evan's bday party at your house earlier this year. She left an impression on me as being a strong & beautiful soul. Reading this post made me both smile & cry. I remember having to shave my mother's hair after she was diagnosed w/ a brain tumor. When she saw that 1 side of her hair had been shaved off after the biopsy, she turned to me & asked me to shave the rest of her hair off. (My mom was a hairstylist so hair was (I thought) important to her) I was reluctant but she simply said to me. "Oh well, hair grows!" I try to remember those words when I'm feeling down and tempted to look at the glass half empty. Your faith in God and Hazelnut's journey has truly been an inspiration to me and many others and a reminder that God is Good and He is in control! Hazelnut is fearfully and wonderfully made. I continually keep you guys in my prayers.

    Blessings,
    Rosalynn Addis

    ReplyDelete
  11. very touching. Hope's mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a testament as to how your family loves each other and truly believes. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's beautiful even without her curly locks. The joy in her heart just keeps shining through.
    We're friends of Aaron's parents from Word of Life. Praying for your little Hazel.
    Blessings,
    Tom, Janis, and Tim Van Keuren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lauren and Aaron, you do not know us but we are friends of a friend (Sheila) of your mum’ Linda’s. Just wanted you to know that you and your precious family are being held in prayer here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and also be our friends in the UK. Your faith and love for Jesus shine through in your blogs so we know that He is walking this difficult path with you. We pray that our God of comfort and strength will continue to hold you close and bring you both healing to Hazelnut and blessings to you all. We have made a donation through the Talbot foundation to Hazel’s fund but there was nowhere to leave a message other than our name which of course would mean nothing to you, so hopefully you will be able to tie the two together. Love and blessings from fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, Edwina and John Thornton xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both so much! I am truly overwhelmed by your prayers and generous donation. I am so happy to know who it came from so I could personally thank you. Please continue to pray!

      Delete
    2. WE continue to pray believing that He holds her in his hands and will bring healing to her little body and blessings to all those around her.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful God blessed family! You have warmed my heart. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came across your blog from Yahoo's featured stories. Your blog is such a beautiful testimony. I love that you are sharing these wonderful moments with your daughter. Each post is hard to read and your strength and resilence can definitely be seen. I will keep your little hazelnut in my prayers.

    Andrea
    www.sincerelyandrea.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came across your blog because of the post about "pizza" on Facebook. (stupid cancer.org) It is truly amazing how God uses others to inspire stranger miles and miles apart. You write beautiful about your daughter and family! the pictures that you share are Awesome! May you be used by God in your journey! It is not about us, It is about HIM. Thanks for sharing your FAITH !!! We too walked that road and know some of what you have been through. The love that you share for your family overflows!
    Toutdoors6@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your little girl is just as cute as can be, her smile is contagious and melts my heart. I love how your family made cutting her hair a family event, than solely cutting her's off.

    ReplyDelete