Saturday, January 24, 2015
Meeting with the Doctors
So I received the phone call from Hazel's medical team late yesterday afternoon, and here is what I know so far: First, the surgeon was actually out of town and can't look at her scan until we see him in clinic. So we are not are what his thoughts are yet, but I made an appointment for Wednesday, so we Wil get some answers then. Second, the rest of the team was all in agreement with her main oncogist, that since this spot has remained completely stable for nine months and all of her labs came back normal, that we should NOT start any treatment right away and that we may be safe just monitoring it with follow up scans. They all hope the surgeon can biopsy/remove this tissue so we can have some concrete answers, but if it will be too risky, we will wait until her next scans with this new machine (which are set for 10 weeks from now instead of 3 months) to see if there has been any change. If there has been, then we can discuss possible treatment, but if not, we will continue monitoring it. So even though we still have more information we are waiting on, I still consider this another small victory! They could have just as easily said we needed to start treatment right away, so thank goodness that was not the consensus!